Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Interviews: Oscar Peterson / Bob Edwards; February 21, 2003 (~npr.org)

Bob Edwards interview with Oscar Peterson
February 21, 2003

As a youngster, Oscar Peterson remembers sneaking downstairs while his parents slept to listen to the radio. "[I] put my ear right to the speaker and listen to Duke (Ellington) and (Count) Basie and Artie Shaw," the legendary jazz pianist tells NPR's Bob Edwards in a Morning Edition interview. "The volume would be way, way down low so I wouldn't wake my parents... and I'd be ingesting all this wonderful music."

Peterson says he studied those artists and even played along with their records "so that when I had to play with them in person, I sort of had a bit of a jump on their musical personality."

Listen from » ~NPR media player
Article Webpage: ~www.npr.org

No comments:

Post a Comment